First Time Indexer

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Fri Jan 12 09:36:23 PST 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Fabio Di Francesco wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First time generating an index with FM.
>
> First of all: how do you get the index to show all the pages that contain a
> specific marked word? Example: I've marked the word DIP switch on page 5 and
> the word also appears on pages 20, 26, and 30. When I generate the index, it
> only shows page number 5. Do you have to go through the entire document and
> mark the same words over and over again? That would seem illogical.

Actually, you WANT the control to select/reject occurrences of each
potential item to index. If you don't and instead hit every occurrence of
a word or phrase, you wind up with one of those virtually useless things
called a concordance. (A concordance can occasionally have limited value,
but it is *not* an index.)

You might want to spend a little time finding out more about indexing in
general. One good place to start is www.asindexing.org -- lots of good
resources and information there.

Also, we offer IXgen, a toolset that supports indexing in FrameMaker. Our
website is listed below.

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  USA FAX: 360-253-1498
http://www.fsatools.com