Dual Monitor(s) ??s

Syed Zaeem Hosain Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Mon Jan 15 09:35:35 PST 2007

Hi, Richard

Richard Doll wrote:
> As many of you have touted the advantages of dual monitors . . . My ??s
> follow:
>
> Replacing 4-yr. old (now too slow) Dell 360 Precision WrkStation with:
> NewSys: WinXP Pro - Dell 490 PrecisionWorkStation - 2G Mem - 80Gig Hard
> Drv - Dual Monitor IntFace/Contrlr
> Apps: FMkr 7.2 - PShop - Illustrtr - AcrobtPro 5.05 w/Dstlr - MSWrd -
> VisualBasic - ColourChameleon

2GB is a good choice of main memory ... really helps to accelerate all
apps, including FrameMaker.

> Try'd 24" Wide Screen on this sys; but, aspect of wide-screen only stretches
> display to fill monitor area. Such that 8.5x11-in page at 100% displays at
> 10.25x11 . . . like its quite chubby. Type and graphics also display
> pixelized/distorted. Can change aspect to normal, but then, margins are
> completely dead and type still pixcelized.

Hmmm ... I do not experience this above problem. Do you have the properties
of the display adapter set correctly? I use a 24" Dell monitor (previous gen
to the 2407 called a 2405) on my Dell laptop at a resolution of 1920 x 1200
and everything works very well indeed!

> So, returning 2407 monitor for two regular (aspect) screens.
>
> Question(s) is . . . How to direct certain apps to display on which screen
> and (FMkr) how to have (para/table/structure/etc). designer "drop-downs" to
> appear on screen2 next to the screen1 that would display the main/page
> window.
> And . . . should I care how the mouse knows that the right boundary of
> screen #1 is really the left edge of screen #2 and will flow across? Or,
> will I also need multi-mices? 8^)

You can set Windows up to handle sliding the mouse from screen to screen.
Plus, it can either slide off the left edge or the right, depending on
the position of the screen in the setup (use display properties to position
the two monitors.

Regards,