techniques to indicate hyperlinks in frame

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Jan 16 08:22:06 PST 2007

Kevin,

You wrote:

>... I'm looking for a simple but effective technique of visually
>indicating, in the PDF version of the guide, that certain text strings
>are hyperlinks.
>Ideally, this technique would be invisible in the print version, where
>the links obviously wouldn't work. ...

A simple solution, available with Acrobat/Reader 6 and higher, is to have a
screen-only underline property for links. (This underline also looks much
better than the standard FM underline, which is often displayed as having
inconsistent thickness).

For more information and sample files, see
http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF.html#19

You can change link properties in Acrobat (for all links at, once in recent
versions of Acrobat),  after the PDF file is created. (It is also possible
to automate this process with FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers, so that you
get the desired properties automatically and consistently upon distilling).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat