Substituting a check box for a bullet in FrameMaker

Thu Jan 18 13:31:41 PST 2007

Art Campbell wrote:

> Create a new character format with everything set to AsIs
> except the font, which needs to be ZapfDingbats.
>
> Then modify the Bullet para tag slightly: change the
> Autonumber string to something like this, so that it contains
> a lower case o: (o\t).
> Paint the o with the new Zapf character format and save as a
> new para tag. Paint the tab stop with the Default character
> tag so you switch back to a text font after the box. Save again.

The Zapf Dingbats font will work _if_ you have it installed on your PC.
If it's only available to you on a PostScript printer, then you won't be
able to use it to create PDFs. Another possibility is the Wingdings
font, which is pretty near ubiquitous on Windows PCs.

In either of those fonts, there are four 3-D box characters you might
use: lower-case o, p, q, and r. For other font/character options, fire
up Character Map and look at whatever symbol fonts you have installed.

I don't know what Art meant by "Paint the o" -- I'm only familiar with
format painting as a Word feature. In FM, on the Paragraph Designer's
Numbering tab, you apply a char format to the autonumber by selecting it
under Character Format. It applies to the entire autonumber string.
There's no need (or ability) to apply Default Pgf Format to the tab; the
char format you choose affects only the autonumber string.

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs