Updating chapter numbers

Chinell, David F (GE Indust, Security) David.Chinell at GE.com
Fri Jan 19 07:14:45 PST 2007

Every style guide and reputable example I know of makes me think it should be:

[no number or title] front matter
Chapter 1	Chapter title
Chapter 2	Chapter title
Chapter N	Chapter title
Appendix A	Appendix title
Appendix B	Appendix title
Appendix N	Appendix title
[no number]	Glossary (optional)
[no number]	Index

When I have to use chapter number prefixes for figures or pages, I omit the prefix in the front matter, use the chapter number or appendix letter for pages in those components, and use Y to prefix the Glossary pages, and Z to prefix the Index pages, based on the fact that those are the last two components in the work, thus get the last two letters.

Bear