deleting tags before updating template - consequences?

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Sat Jan 20 04:34:01 PST 2007

Hi Karen,

Every paragraph in FrameMaker is "tagged" with a paragraph format name, even
it that paragraph format does not exist in the document. So when you delete
the paragraph formats, each paragraph is still tagged as it was before. When
you click in a paragraph, you will see an asterisk next to its name. An
asterisk can indicate an override, but it can also mean that the paragraph
is tagged with a format that does not exist in the paragraph catalog. The
same is true for characters and tables; they can be tagged with formats that
don't exist in the document.

The logic behind deleting all tags is to make sure that, after you import
formats from the template, only formats from the template are present in
your document. In other words, it ensures that there are no obsolete formats
in your document.

Note that you can't do this with some FrameMaker formats. For example, you
cannot delete a cross-reference format if that format is in use in the
document. If you do, the cross-references using that format will be
converted to text. The same applies to variables.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com