Word to FM (once again)

mathieu jacquet bobitch at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 06:33:31 PST 2007

I know some of you are real good at importing Word documents in FM. You must
have develop import processes over time; I'd like to take advantage of your
experience, if I may.

Have you ever tried quantifying the time it takes to import a Word document,
in terms of:

- applying FM paragraph and text format to the imported Word content (e.g.
number of pages per hour)
- importing/recreating tables (I know Diane Gaskill has had a tough time
finding the proper filter to do that, was it the Japanese one?)
- redoing cross references; BTW, is there a tool that counts the number of
cross references in a Word document?

Do you think I can say: Ok, I have a 500-page document containing 200 cross
references and 75 tables, it is going to take me 15 (or 10 or...) days for
the import?

And which filter do you use? Do you first do a .doc to .rtf conversion
before importing using a .RTF filter or do you import directly from .doc
using a Word filter (which one?)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mathieu.

P.S.:I'm not talking about importing graphics here. I know it adds a lot of
extra time, but I'll see that later.