How long to learn FrameScript?

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Tue Jan 23 05:59:50 PST 2007

Hi Steve,

This is a good question. First of all, let me say that, while I am currently
using PC Frame, I have used FrameMaker under Mac, UNIX, and PC over the
years, and still consider the Mac version the best of the three as far as
user experience. It's true that Mac FrameScript is "stuck" at version 2 and
will likely remain that way. However, FrameScript 2 is still very useful
(and stable) for Mac FrameMaker automation. In fact, my FrameScript book was
written for version 2 and is still selling, even though it was written in
2002.

Here are some things that later versions of FrameScript (3 and above) added:

* The ability to interact with the file system (create folders, copy and
move files, etc.).
* The ability to interact with databases using ODBC.
* New collection data types beyond string lists, integer lists, etc.
* The ability to use ActiveX objects to expand functionality (regular
expressions, XML parsing, etc.)
* The ability to run scripts from a command line.

As you can see, these things allow greater integration of FrameMaker with
Windows and other applications.

The greatest 3 or higher feature, in my opinion is the addition of Functions
to FrameScript. Functions are similar to Subroutines in that they isolate
functionality in callable blocks of code. However, Functions always return a
value (even if it is NULL), and can be called "inline". For a simple
example, here is a function the calculates square footage.

Function ReturnSquareFeet mHeight mWidth
//
Local Result(-1); // Result is the variable that the function returns.

// Make sure both parameters were passed to the function.
If Args.Count <> 2
  Write Console 'ReturnSquareFeet requires 2 arguments.';
  LeaveSub;
EndIf

Set Result = mHeight * mWidth;
//
EndFunc

Here is an example of how you can call this Function inline:

MsgBox 'The square footage is '+ReturnSquareFeet{150,200};

If you haven't done a lot of scripting, you may not see the significance of
this, but having a library of reusable Functions is a great productivity
boost when writing scripts.

You may wonder why I have focused on PC-only FrameScript features when you
asked about Mac FrameScript 2. It is because I think you have to look at the
big picture:

1) FrameMaker for Mac is officially stopped at 7.0 and only runs on Classic.
2) FrameMaker 8 is on the horizon.
3) It is easier than ever to run Windows on the Mac.
4) Windows performance on the Mac is gaining parity with PCs and native Mac
applications.
5) FrameScript 4.1 gives you many more FrameMaker automation options.

If I were a Mac user faced with the choice to stay with Mac FrameMaker and
FrameScript 2.0, or to use Windows FrameMaker and FrameScript 4.1, I would
opt for the latter choice. Especially when now you don't have to give up
your Mac or use a stand-alone PC to do so.

However, this is important: if you choose to stay with Mac FrameMaker, you
will still increase your productivity with FrameScript 2.0, and it will pay
for itself quickly.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com