How long to learn FrameScript?

Stephen O'Brien sobrien at innovmetric.com
Tue Jan 23 06:34:39 PST 2007

Hi Diane,

This is my experience.

First I bought Rick Quatro's book and followed
the exercises - that helps alot. You can even
modify the scripts a bit and apply them to your needs.

Then there is a steep initial learning curve in
that you have to learn (a) a new way of looking
at FrameMaker - by objects - big objects
(documents) that contain lists of smaller
objects, etc. - I found that to be exciting but
it can also be time-consuming until you find what
you need, and (b) what FrameMaker commands to use
to process what objects correspond to your task.
But at this stage every wrong turn you take is a
right turn in that you are still learning about objects and commands.

Finally, you make a script that servers YOUR
needs and you are hooked! My first script printed
8 different versions of the same document using
conditional text, and the same with a second
document - for Marketing. Manually it took 30
minutes to set/hide conditional text and print
the 16 documents to PDF. I also had to change the
value of a variable. My script did the task in
between 11-12 seconds! When I showed my boss he
said the investment - FrameScript (150) and book (100) - already paid off.

Since then I have made an interface for printing
all of my PDF documentation with check boxes and
Choose All items. The printing sets conditional
text, updates the book, can be done from a test
or an official directory, can show the documents
being processed (visibility) or not for increased
speed, has a verbose mode to print progress
statements or not - I have full control and the
job is done fast and perfectly each time. A 2.5
hour manual task is reduced to 10 mins if the
documents are local, or 20 mins if they are network.

I admit to having spent 2 days looking for a bug
in a script, and it came down to not a
FrameScript error but an improperly defined text
inset...I have lost some time working things out
but this only added to my experience.

If you like development you are sure to GAIN big
time with scripts - for big and small jobs. For
example we wanted to standardize file names. I
wrote a script that went through my books,
displayed each image name (imported by reference)
, let me change the file name, and updated the
name in the FM document. I used code written
initially for another application and it went well.

In the first year I spent a 4-5 weeks on
FrameScript but my partners know that my
documents can be printed on demand, they know
there will be no mistakes in production, and they
feel that we work professionally in
Documentation. You give a better, faster service
and can optimize future procedures. Go for it! Good luck.

At 15:28 2007-01-22, Rick Quatro wrote:
>Hi Diane,
>
>It depends on how much time you are willing to
>invest and what kind of projects you are going
>to practice with. I would say that you can get
>up to speed with it in a couple of months if you
>faithfully work with it an hour a day. I may be
>way off on my estimate, but if it makes you feel
>any better, I am still learning after more than 8 years of working with it.
>
>At the risk of sounding self-serving, some of my
>clients have learned by buying a few scripts
>first and then learning from them, especially if
>they are well-commented. One thing I can say
>without hesitation: whether you buy scripts or
>write your own (or a combination of both),
>FrameScript will pay for itself very quickly.
>Well-planned automation is a benefit to any workflow.
>
>When you buy FrameScript, make sure you work
>through the free tutorials on my web site. You
>should also join the FrameScript group at http://groups.yahoo.com.
>
>Rick Quatro
>Carmen Publishing
>585-659-8267
>www.frameexpert.com
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm considering asking my manager to buy FrameScript for me and I have to
>>justify it of course.  Does anyone have any data on how long it takes to
>>become reasonably proficient using it. I have 4 years of sw dev experience
>>and 15 years of FM experience.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Diane

>or visit
>http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/sobrien%40innovmetric.com
>
>Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com. Visit
>http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

Stephen O'Brien, Rédacteur technique / Technical Writer
InnovMetric Logiciels inc. / InnovMetric Software Inc.
2014, Jean-Talon Nord, Suite 310
Québec (Québec), Canada G1N 4N6

Tel./Tél.: (418) 688-2061
Fax/Telec.: (418) 688-3001
courriel/e-mail: sobrien at innovmetric.com
http://www.innovmetric.com

PolyWorks, the Universal 3D Metrology Software Platform for Manufacturing (TM)