How long to learn FrameScript?

Zoe Lawson messalina17 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 08:51:31 PST 2007

I worry about that trap, too.

However, once you have the script working correctly, you get another bit of value.

You know there isn't any human error. (or at least, as much human error)

I bought framescript because I had to convert 13 books from one template to another. Yes, it took me about 3 weeks to write all the scripts that I needed. Could I have spent that time manually moving all the figure captions from above the image to below, confirming tables were attached to an anchor paragraph, renaming paragraph tags, etc. etc.? Yes. However, there would have been a TON of mistakes in there. Never mind the fact I would have gone crazy in the process. ;-)

Since I had started to learn the tool...I could start using it to write other time saving scripts. I was also able to write a few scripts that I use all the time. For example, I use WebWorks 2003, and like my images to be in a thumbnail. You have to insert a marker in a text box into every single anchored frame you want to convert this way. I wrote a script that does that for me if I use the script to import the image.

You are correct that you need to be careful. You do have to weigh the time spent vs. the value add. For me, the piece of mind that I could do it once, and it would be right, was huge. The extra value of having time saving scripts for later helped. And I could add something to my resume.

Zoë