TOUGH ONE

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Sat Jan 27 08:40:39 PST 2007

You're welcome, Michael.

Once again you've only replied to me, rather than to the list. You need
to understand that this is a shared community in which whoever knows
something to contribute, does contribute. Writing only to one community
member puts the work on that person, and also closes off the possibility
that others may have more useful information for you.

You're correct that you should have disclosed more detail about the
complex task you're working on. You don't say how you're scripting -
FrameScript, FrameAC, or some other tool. There are many skilled users
of both tools in the FrameMaker user community who could probably offer
you some paths to solutions as free advice, or as paid custom scripting
help. I do not know any of the scripting tools.

Further, it seems that you may not have any identifying characteristic
for the paragraphs that need the special attention, or at least that the
decision about when to apply the special attributes to a paragraph isn't
available in the paragraph or its format. For this kind of work, perhaps
structured FrameMaker would work. It's able to check rules that you set
up, and apply formatting and other changes. For example, if you want the
last paragraph in a numbered or bulleted list to have extra space after,
you can write this into the EDD, and FrameMaker's rules-checker will do
it. This means that you only need to apply one format for all list
items, instead one for the "regular" items, and a special one for the
last. Similarly, a rule can identify the first item in a numbered list,
and apply the equivalent of <n=1>, and apply the equivalent of <n+> to
all the others. When you move items in the sequence, the rules recheck
the list and apply the first-item rule to the new first item, and the
last-item rule to the new last item.

Taking on the task of migrating to structure isn't trivial, but if
you're already willing to invest in learning scripting, you might find
advantages to learning the structured approach. There are many skilled
structure folks in the community who can help you when you get stuck.

I'm copying this to the list, for others to see, and perhaps comment upon.
Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices