High quality images

Matt Sullivan matt at grafixtraining.com
Mon Jan 29 15:08:21 PST 2007

(1) Actually, with multiple 100+ Mb files and poster-sized or larger output,
scaling, rotation, cropping and compression take on a whole new meaning.
When the size of the cache exceeds that of the RAM on the output engine,
it's like running Photoshop on 256Mb RAM...everything goes at the speed of
the cache disk.

(2) But Frame does send the compressed referenced file to the driver to
perform calculations there, yes?
 It's been my understanding that InDesign is the only application that
pre-processed scaling, rotation, and cropping before sending to an output
device. Is that no longer/not correct?
I've always understood that all other applications will pass the referenced
file to Distiller or the RIP, and that processing occurs there.

Also, did you have an opinion on the pasting of screen captures vs. saving
to disk?