High quality images

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 02:34:06 PST 2007

At 14:45 -0800 29/1/07, Matt Sullivan wrote:

>In my experience with large full-color CMYK images, the ZIP compression
>saved roughly 15% of the file size. For that smaller size, the RIP time
>would often increase by a factor of 4x or 5x. Scaling the image within the
>application (with the exception of InDesign) would also slow the RIP. In
>each case, the application passes the processing (decompression, scaling,
>and rotating) off to the RIP.

As it happens, I hit this yesterday, with an EPS of a b&w screenshot with a lot of white space (actually a shot of FrameMaker's structure view).

Saved from Illustrator CS2 as TIFF with LZW on, 1MB, with LZW off, 19 MB.

RIPs aside, my client's aren't going to thank me for a 19 MB file of a rather plain and boring screenshot.

(I didn't use PDF because clients specify TIFF for this application.)

--
Steve