FrameMaker 5.5.6 > Word > InDesign help needed

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 31 02:58:10 PST 2007

At 15:19 +1100 31/1/07, hedley.finger at myob.com wrote:

>A former client of mine has a thesis with many graphics imported by
>reference into FrameMaker 5.5.6 running in Classic Mac 9.1 on
>PowerMacintosh.  She wants to convert them to InDesign v. 2.0.  I
>suggested that she save to Mac Word 4, 5, or 6, or to RTF using the
>Japanese converter, in the Save As dialogue.  I can't do this myself as I
>don't have FrameMaker installed on my home Windows computer.
>
>So, will this process work: FrameMaker 5.5.6 > Word/RTF > InDesign?  (I
>don't have InDesign or any InDesign experience.)

I think this was the route I took a few years ago when presented with the same thing. However, I was fortunate in that the Word Ms had no graphics: these would need to be picked out of the Word docs and re-set in InDesign. Trouble is, Word does a load of Deep Juju on imported graphics, and I'll bet in your client's case the original image files are no longer available.

One trick that is often recommended to handle embedded graphics in Word is to [separately] save as HTML, which spits out all the graphics separately. Trouble is, I think it spits them out as GIFs - although this might be configurable.

>If this does work, can an Australian FrameMaker user who can assist in
>this conversion please contact Mary Ann directly at
><energymedical at yahoo.com.au> or by calling mobile 0425 794 949 (+61 425
>794 949).

Moral: read ahead... :-(

--