Framemaker to PDF - Linking Problem

Amy Harvey aharvey at enercon.com
Tue Jul 10 07:40:40 PDT 2007

Hi,

We work on large sets of documentation that require links between various Chapters, Sections, Books, etc.
Our final deliverables are in PDF format.

When creating the PDF file for a specific book, we have found that for some reason, we need to open ALL of the other book files that are linked to the current book in order for the links to work.

For example, if I'm printing the PDF for Section 5.3 book, and it contains links to sections 2.3 and 7.8, we need to open the book files for 2.3 and 7.8 to print or sometimes the links don't work.

An example of the link verbage we are using in the marker is:
gotolink ../CHAP02/ER_SEC02_03.fm:sec231

Is this typical ?    Since they are relative links, I really don't understand why Framemaker would require all of the linked files to be open when creating the book.

And... it only doesn't work "sometimes"....

Any thoughts?

Amy Harvey
Enercon Service, Inc.