deleting backup files

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Mon Jul 23 15:06:43 PDT 2007

I'm with Mike.
I find the AutoSave feature brings me more tragedy than joy. I prefer to
develop a good, solid, old-fashioned work habit than to rely on that
feature.

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces+jsgammato=imprivata.com at lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-bounces+jsgammato=imprivata.com at lists.frameusers.com] On
Behalf Of Mike Wickham
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 5:42 PM
To: Fred Ridder; Frame Users
Subject: Re: deleting backup files

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc at hotmail.com>
To: <bhechter at objectives.ca>; <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 2:46 PM

>I know it's not an answer to the question you are asking, but my
> advice would be to eliminate the .backup files from the outset by
> turning off the "automatic backup on save" option.
> I do recommend the "autosave" option, on the other hand. That
> feature has saved my bacon on several occasions when FrameMaker
> has exited unexpectedly.

The autosave feature scares me. I work out of a home office, and we have

roaming cats. If one walks across a keyboard, it can add or delete all
kinds
of things in a document. Autosave will happily save the fouled up
version.
If you're away from the keyboard, it's possible for autosave to run more

than once, overwriting even the .backup.fm file. I've made it a habit to
hit
Ctrl-S regularly, instead.

Mike Wickham