deleting backup files

Mike Wickham mewickham at compuserve.com
Mon Jul 23 14:42:15 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc at hotmail.com>
To: <bhechter at objectives.ca>; <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 2:46 PM
Subject: RE: deleting backup files

>I know it's not an answer to the question you are asking, but my
> advice would be to eliminate the .backup files from the outset by
> turning off the "automatic backup on save" option.
> I do recommend the "autosave" option, on the other hand. That
> feature has saved my bacon on several occasions when FrameMaker
> has exited unexpectedly.

The autosave feature scares me. I work out of a home office, and we have
roaming cats. If one walks across a keyboard, it can add or delete all kinds
of things in a document. Autosave will happily save the fouled up version.
If you're away from the keyboard, it's possible for autosave to run more
than once, overwriting even the .backup.fm file. I've made it a habit to hit
Ctrl-S regularly, instead.

Mike Wickham