deleting backup files

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Tue Jul 24 14:04:41 PDT 2007

One of the essential FrameMaker procedures that every unique
FrameMaker user should learn is to save all files *before* doing
anything that might need to be undone; even with the addition of Undo
in FrameMaker 7.2, Undo is limited.

Further guidelines:

* When making global changes to files in a book, open all the files
that will be affected (from the book window, Shift+File > Open All
Files in Book)

The reason to perform global operations on open files is that open
files are changed, but not saved. You can back out of changes to an
individual file by using File > Revert to Saved (or File > Close > Do
not save changes); you can back out of changes made to all open files
(in a book or not) by deselecting any open book file(s), and using
Shift+File > Close All Open Files > Do not save changes (for each open
file). You can back out of changes made to all open files in a book;
from the book window, use Shift+File > Close All Files In Book > Do
not save changes (for each open file). This doesn't affect the book
file; to back out of changes made to the book file, from the book
window, use File > Revert to Saved, or File > Close > Do not save
changes. Then reopen the book file.

Files in a book that are closed when you perform global operations,
like update, find/replace, etc, are opened, then the changes are made,
and the files are closed. The status line in the book window displays
the progress of these actions, but there's an alert (error message)
only if there's a problem opening or processing the closed files.

* If some of the files have unsaved changes that you want to protect
from errors that the global procedure might cause, save these files
before performing the global procedure(s.)

HTH
Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices