QUESTION FOR FONT GURUS

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Thu Jun 7 12:58:03 PDT 2007

Michael,

(1)	When you create the PDF file from FrameMaker,
does the PDF file view correctly on the screen? Do the
two fonts that you believe have the same XUID display
correctly in Acrobat or in Reader?

(2)	Assuming that the PDF file does display correctly,
what happens if you try to print the PDF file to a
laser printer (not a prepress RIP) that has Adobe PostScript?
Problems or no problems?

The answer to your last question is that both Distiller
and Adobe PostScript-based printers are RIPs (Raster Image
Processors). If the PDF file displays correctly in Reader
or Acrobat and the file prints correctly to an Adobe PostScript
-based laser printer, then the problem is not the fonts or the
resultant PDF file, but rather, that RIP you are referring to.

Advise as to (1) and (2) above and we can proceed from there.

	- Dov