Text Flow and Figure Numbering Issue

Mon Jun 11 10:50:04 PDT 2007

Sam Beard wrote:

> Everything worked fine except for the figure numbers for two
> figures that are contained in the same anchored frame. The
> figure captions are included in text boxes inside the larger
> anchored frame and the figures themselves are in anchored
> frames inside the larger anchored frame.

Umm, that can't be right. You can't put an anchored frame inside another
anchored frame, only inside a text frame (the anchor is an object in a
text flow). Probably, the figures are in graphic frames inside the
anchored frame. Possibly, they're in anchored frames inside the text
frames containing the figure captions (bad idea).

In any case, this sounds awfully complicated. If you must have the
figures side-by-side, each with its own figure captions, use a 2-column
table. That way, your figure captions can be part of the main flow of
the doc, which should solve your numbering problem.

> The figure captions
> have no flow indicators assigned to them, unlike all the
> other figure captions in the document, which is why they're
> out of order with the rest of them, I believe.

OK, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to the _flow
property_ of the  _text frames_ that contain the figure captions?
Looking back at an earlier post, I see that you seemed to want to make
those text frames part of the main text flow. You can't do that (they're
objects within the flow).

Or are you referring to the figure caption paragraphs' autonumbering
sequence (usually a letter followed by a colon)? If that's the case,
yeah, you'll have to make them part of the same numbering sequence as
the other figure captions if you want them to be part of the same
numbering stream.

Or maybe there's some third thing going on here that I'm not getting?

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer