"Save as PDF" problems?

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Thu Jun 14 11:00:13 PDT 2007

The PDF job options that you are being asked for are the
Distiller job options. If FrameMaker isn't able to find your
installed instance of Distiller, it's a very safe bet that it will never
find a corresponding set of job options.

Note that although the various sets of job options are defined
(or modified) from the Distiller UI, with current versions of
FrameMaker, Distiller, and Windows there are *at least* four
different places where you can specify a named set of PDF
job options and it is not at all clear which specification takes
precedence if there is any disagreement among them. You
can specify the job options in FrameMaker's PDF Setup
dialog (either on the file level or the book level, with the book
choice presumably overriding the individual file setting). Or
you can set it in the Adobe PDF Document Properties dialog
that you get to from FrameMaker's File>Print Setup command.
Or you can set them from in the Adobe PDF Printing Preferences
dialog that you get to from the Adobe PDF printer icon Printers
Faxes item in the Windows Control Panel or the Start menu.
(I think I've seen one or two others preferences dialogs, but
these are the ones that it is easy to find.) And of course
there is a place to set them directly in the Distiller UI, but it's
pretty clear that this setting only applies when you explicitly
distill a PostScript file, which is only one way of creating a PDF.

If you'll allow me to quote myself, what follows is from a response
I posted to the list back in April:

There are a number of good methods for producing PDFs from
FrameMaker. In order of reliability (according to my own experience),
they are::

Best: If you have Acrobat Professional, set up one or more
watched folders. Attach an appropriate set of Distiller job options
to each watched folder. Then use the Adobe PDF printer driver
(important point!) to print your document or book to a
PostScript file in the "In" folder within one of the watched folders.
If Distiller is running, it scans the watched folders periodically
and distills whatever PS files it finds and puts the resulting PDF
in the "Out" folder.

2nd best: Print the document/book to a PostScript file using
the Adobe PDF printer driver (again, this is an important point).
Then distill the file manually by opening the PS file from Distiller.
This method lets you see for sure what Distiller job options are
currently selected.

3rd best: Print the document/book to the Adobe PDF virtual
printer. This creates a PDF directly using whatever Distiller
job options you have set as the default for the Adobe PDF
printer instance.

4th best: Use Save as PDF. There were some *major* gotchas
in this operation in FrameMaker versions through 5.5.6 (at least).
Adobe *mostly* fixed this function as of FrameMaker 7.x, but
you're still relying on a lot of separate factors to all be in
agreement.
This method does so much of  its work "behind the curtain" that
you simply cannot see in advance whether everything is set up properly.

So my advice is this: If Save As PDF isn't working for you, use one
of the other, more reliable methods for creating your PDF. The
differences in speed and convenience are small, and to my way of
thinking a method that works properly every time is worth a lot
more than a minor inconvenience.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ