Need some FM tips

Shmuel Wolfson sbw at actcom.com
Tue Jun 19 06:31:35 PDT 2007

See answers below.

Regards,
Shmuel Wolfson

David Shaked (Wernick) wrote:
> Can I ask the list members for some tips on various FM techniques? I am
> using FM 7.2. Most of these questions (except #6) are about techniques that
> are easy to use in Word, and I haven't yet found an FM equivalent.
>

> 1. Navigation techniques. Are there quick ways, such as shortcut keys, to do
> the following:
>
>    a. Display the book window?
*I always make sure the book is the first thing I open in FM. This way
it's easy to go to the book via the Window menu, or ALT+W+1.*
>    b. After following a cross reference (Alt+Ctrl+Click), go back to the
> cross reference?
>    c. Go back to the last place that I edited?
>    d. Go to a specified page number in a book, if it is not within the
> currently displayed *.fm file?
>

> 2. Is there a way to display the same document in two windows or in a split
> window?
>

> 3. What is the best way to create a TOC or index conforming to a predefined
> template? The method that I have used so far is the following:
>
>    a. Copy the TOC and index templates to the document directory.
>    b. Rename the files according to the convention <bookname>TOC.fm and
> <bookname>IX.fm.
>    c. Open the *.book file and choose Add > TOC or Add > Standard Index. FM
> places the TOC and index in the above files and adds them to the book.
>
>    Is that the right way?

*The standard way would be to insert a TOC, open the template TOC and
import the relevant formats to the new TOC. But I your way better.*

> 4. On one computer, I accidentally moved my toolbar (the Quick Access Bar)
> to a floating position within the document window. How can I can move it
> back to the docked position at the top of the FM window? It refuses to dock.
>

> 5. If I shorten a document, I need to manually delete the blank pages at the
> end of the document. Shouldn't the pages disappear automatically?

*Only if you select Delete Empty Pages in the pagination settings. Then
they disappear when you update the book. But this does not help when you
always want even pages in the file.*

> 6. Can I create a book of books? My idea is to create a "super-book" that I
> can use for global operations such as find/replace or import-formats
> throughout a documentation set. However, I must be careful not to
> inadvertently change the page and chapter numbering or corrupt any XRefs
> while doing this.

*I assume that this is possible since there a a volume numbering option
under numbering. See FM help for Volume.*