FM v. RoboHelp

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 13:50:22 PDT 2007

That particular guide was only about 240 pages, which is about half the size of one of the ones I currently managed as one output of 5 produced using ePub/FM to single-source and do all 5 outputs in less time than I used to spend on 1 CHM and converting to PDF (throught the formatting purgatory required RH>Word>PDF) for the project half its size. Based on that experience, I'd say it takes 4 times as long to do the same amount of work using RH if you have to produce PDF. The thing is, it's a part of EVERY production cycle. With FM, you set it up once and you're done, just handle the page formatting as you grow the content.

Sometimes I'd run into a bug in Word that would cause all sorts of nightmares with formatting, and if you've tried to format anything in Word recently, remember how you have to futz with stuff constantly, going back to check that something you did later didn't "break" some formatting you'd done earlier because of Word's  quirky format interdependencies and autonumbering issues.

Lin Surasky <Lin.Surasky at retalix.com> wrote: See, these are the kinds of numbers I needed. I know there's a time
difference between the two, but how much is the question. Thanks for
helping with that.

I never would have guessed 3-5 days! For how big a guide? 60 pages? 200
pages? (Once it's PDFed, of course.)

rs.com] On Behalf Of Rene Stephenson