Under-documented features... [-STOP THE DISCUSSION-]

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Fri Jun 29 11:38:30 PDT 2007

> And about importing the variables and/or master
> pages from the title chapter... file by file, that charming chore gets
> tedious really quick.  (Not to mention that if
> your variables are slightly off...  Well. even more work.)

I haven't followed this thread closely, but if you have a book, you don't
have to import formats file by file. You open your source file, bring the
book to the front, select the components that you want to update, and do
File > Import > Formats.

In addition, there are a couple of third-party tools to help you. One is my
ImportFormatsSpecial plugin, which allows you to import user variables and
system variables separately. Another is FrameScript, which allows you to add
your own "super" variable functionality to FrameMaker. Of course, it takes
some time and scripting expertise (or money to buy a script), but for the
most part, the sky is the limit.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267