Under-documented features... [-STOP THE DISCUSSION-]

Fri Jun 29 11:53:15 PDT 2007

John Milligan wrote:

> Initially I wrote to ask for help solving a problem involving
> variables sprinkled throughout a book, liberally throughout
> each chapter. My question was, is there a variable I can
> change and run through an entire book that'll put the book
> title in the page header of every chapter?
>
> The general responses seem to be (1) nope, not in FrameMaker
> and (2) why don't you try using cross-references? Or import
> the variables from my title chapter into every other file?  I
> am bemused by the lack of interest in what I think is a
> potentially valuable feature for FrameMaker.

John, you're either being obstinate or obtuse. "Nope" has *not* been the
general response. Forget cross-references, they're a distraction. The
general response, stated half a dozen different ways, is that
FrameMaker's variable functionality does *exactly* what you want your
"super variable" to do, and does it *easily*, if you'll just
_learn_how_variables_work_ and how to make variable (and other format)
definitions _consistent_ across the files of a book.

Maybe FM's manual/help and we list members haven't explained it to you
well enough. Or maybe you're simply so certain that you (an FM newbie)
know how it *ought* to work that you'd rather bitch than learn. But I
for one don't appreciate your attitude.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs