How Do I Create Alphabetical List?

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 07:33:29 PST 2007

You're welcome, Roger.

Well, you're next question is a nice feature request. ;-)

However, there are two workarounds:

Workaround 1

   1. In your FM source document, type the letters of the alphabet, each
   of them in a separate paragraph and give them a dedicated paragraph tag, for
   example H0. You can make them white or put them in a separate text frame
   outside the print area (or put a white rectangle on top of them).
   2. Generate the alphabetical paragraph list and include H0. H0 will
   have the paragraph tag H0APL in the alphabetical paragraph list.
   3. You can change the reference page, so that the <$pagenum> is
   omitted for H0APL.
   4. Modify the H0APL paragraph tag, so that they look like Group Titles
   of an index.

Workaround 2: use custom markers and Index Generator (IXGen)

   1. Create a custom marker, for example "report".
   2. Use Index Generator to put report markers on all H2 headings.
   3. Generate an index of report markers (IOM). There, you will
   automatically have Group Titles.

I've done this with no less than 21 different types of markers and it worked
like a charm.

For more information about Index Generator: http://www.fsatools.com/

Good luck and best regards

Yves Barbion