Structure too complex for TOC? Any tool or help out there?

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:06:12 PST 2007

I changed my EDD for a book I am working on, to show revision status
in the sidehead (in a single cell table for the background color) by
the chapter title and section headings.
The sections are level based and the formatting of Head changes with
the level, and I do not use paragraph tags for this.

However, what escaped me was that by inserting the set of elements to
read the chapter and section revision attributes between Chapter and
Title / Section and Head, I am no longer getting the title/head text
when setting the TOC up by section levels -- I have to call the Title
and Head in order to get the headings into the TOC.

In order to get things right, I have to copy by hand the Section
references and paste after the RevText, and then delete the marker the
Head line and then combine the two by deleting backwards the page ref
and tab in the Section line.

I know this could be scripted, but is there anyone out there that
knows of a different method that will not make things still more
complicated, maybe a plug-in that could handle this.

There are other manuals I would like to see in a similar way, and I
really think Adobe should consider allowing for more flexibility in
the TOC making in their next revision. After all, I just want the TOC
to call in some elements with reference and relation to a child,
sibling or parent.

Thanks for reading this on the last working day of the week! Any help
or comments would be appreciated. ;-)

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson,
Air Atlanta Icelandic.