Structure too complex for TOC? Any tool or help out there?

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Fri Mar 9 16:27:41 PST 2007

Bodvar,
   I'm guessing that you used to request that TOC entries be created from
the Chapter and Section elements. When these elements began with a Head, it
was actually the Head of the selected elements that appeared in the TOC.
   Am I correct? If so, the explanation is that when an element contributes
to a generated list such as a TOC, it is information from the first
FrameMaker paragraph in that element that goes into the generated list.
Since your heads are always separate paragraphs, you can select a Chapter
or Section and their heads will appear in the TOC.
   You have now changed the content, however, so that the Head is no longer
the first paragraph. You can still set up the TOC to generate the correct
entries, but you'll have to select the Head elements themselves. Since you
probably want to distinguish entries for Chapters from those for Sections
(and perhaps only select higher-level Sections), the technique is to change
the EDD to that it assigns context labels to Head in various contexts. You
can then select the appropriately qualified Head elements for your list.
         --Lynne

At 02:06 AM 3/9/2007, Bodvar Bjorgvinsson wrote:
>I changed my EDD for a book I am working on, to show revision status
>in the sidehead (in a single cell table for the background color) by
>the chapter title and section headings.
>The sections are level based and the formatting of Head changes with
>the level, and I do not use paragraph tags for this.
>
>However, what escaped me was that by inserting the set of elements to
>read the chapter and section revision attributes between Chapter and
>Title / Section and Head, I am no longer getting the title/head text
>when setting the TOC up by section levels -- I have to call the Title
>and Head in order to get the headings into the TOC.
>
>In order to get things right, I have to copy by hand the Section
>references and paste after the RevText, and then delete the marker the
>Head line and then combine the two by deleting backwards the page ref
>and tab in the Section line.
>
>I know this could be scripted, but is there anyone out there that
>knows of a different method that will not make things still more
>complicated, maybe a plug-in that could handle this.
>
>There are other manuals I would like to see in a similar way, and I
>really think Adobe should consider allowing for more flexibility in
>the TOC making in their next revision. After all, I just want the TOC
>to call in some elements with reference and relation to a child,
>sibling or parent.
>
>Thanks for reading this on the last working day of the week! Any help
>or comments would be appreciated. ;-)
>
>Bodvar Bjorgvinsson,
>Air Atlanta Icelandic.
>or visit
>http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/lprice%40txstruct.com
>
>Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com. Visit
>http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284