volume numbers and volume titles

Kevin Hunter kevinh at excelsystems.com
Fri Mar 9 16:47:00 PST 2007

hi,

A recent posting suggesting the use of the volume number as a solution caught my attention, and may also help me to resolve a similar situation I have. However, one thing I also do in my guides is put the section title in the footer of each chapter within that section. Can anyone suggest a way in which I could make that section title a variable such that if I moved the chapter to a different section (or I import my page layouts/variables from one chapter to the other 20... ), the section (or volume) title would also be correctly picked up, via the volume ID?

For instance, in a guide I'll have these individual documents

Cover page
about this manual
TOC
Section 1 intro
chap 1
chap 2
chap 3
Section 2 intro
chap 4
chap 5
chap 6

and so on... so in the footer of my chapter 1, 2 and 3 pages, I'd like to include not only the section number, but the title of that section.

It's late on a friday, so if you find this incoherent, I'll not be surprised!

Thanks,

Kevin