From Framemaker to Trados: Superscript, subscript and italic

Maxwell Hoffmann mhoffmann at translate.com
Sat Mar 10 06:47:50 PST 2007

Verner,

To confirm what Ann posted, we translate technical documentation, and
about 75% of large scale documents our customers submit are in
FrameMaker format. Trados is our most commonly used translation tool,
and although it *is* possible for a linguist to override a tag and
"break" superscript/subscript in pre-processed MIF files, we literally
never have this happen.

About 10 years ago there were some earlier versions of competitive
products to Trados that *could* drop the end code on super/subscripts in
MIF. Such products/processes required more manual touch up after
post-processing to translated FrameMaker files. This may be where your
boss's impression came from that Trados can have difficulties in this
area.

Maxwell Hoffmann
Manager of Consulting & Training Solutions
ENLASO Corporation
T: 805 494 9571 * F: 805 435 1920
E: mhoffmann at translate.com    www.translate.com
ENLASO Corporation provides quality enterprise language solutions and
exceeds client expectations through continuing research, development,
and implementation of effective localization processes and technologies.

complimentary localization newsletter.