Creating special bullets

Linda G. Gallagher lindag at techcomplus.com
Sun Mar 11 16:34:11 PDT 2007

Framers,

Frame 7.0
Win XP

I could swear I've done this before, but how to do it is eluding me. I was
trying to show someone how to create bulleted lists with different types of
bullet symbols. I have a couple of examples from existing documents that
worked, but I wanted to show them how to figure out how to set it up from
scratch.

My disconnect is between the character map when it shows the hex code for a
symbol I select and how to get that hex code into the Autonumbering setting
of the Paragraph Designer (from Wingdings, for example). Here is what I know
and have tried.

- I know that I need to set up and use a character tag that uses the font
(Wingdings, in this case) in the bullet para style. I've done that, no
problem.

- I've found the FrameMaker Character Sets document that is available under
the Help menu, but even when I tried entering the hex or ANSI codes from it
with a Zapf Dingbats char tag in the para style, I still did not get a match
between the code I put in and the resulting bullet symbol as listed in the
document.

- I've tried copying and pasting the selected symbol from the Character Map,
but I again get a symbol that isn't the one I'd selected.

- I've searched the web, but didn't find an answer to this specific issue of
how to do this with any font. Maybe you can't?

I hope someone out there can show me the error of my ways.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda G. Gallagher
TechCom Plus, LLC
lindag at techcomplus dot com
www.techcomplus.com
303-450-9076 or 800-500-3144
User guides, online help, FrameMaker and
WebWorks ePublisher templates
Manager, STC Consulting and Independent
Contracting SIG
http://www.stcsig.org/cic/index.html