Creating special bullets

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 06:22:23 PDT 2007

At 17:34 -0600 11/3/07, Linda G. Gallagher wrote:

>I could swear I've done this before, but how to do it is eluding me. I was
>trying to show someone how to create bulleted lists with different types of
>bullet symbols. I have a couple of examples from existing documents that
>worked, but I wanted to show them how to figure out how to set it up from
>scratch.

If you don't want to mess with character codes, set your desired bullet font as a character tag (for example, Dingbats, Wingdings) and use the character tag in the Automnumber field. This way you can merely use the letter that corresponds with the character in the bullet font that you want. For example, the letter 'N' equates with the large square in Zapf Dingbats.

You can also use this method to set a different font size for the bullet if you wish, although you may get baseline alignment problems. There is a MIF hack for this which I forget but which has been documented here before.

--
Steve