Color seperation help

Daniel Doornbos danield at promise.com
Mon Mar 12 10:58:34 PDT 2007

Scott,

You can get FM to do color separations but it's kind of tricky.
FM's default color setting recognizes the process colors: cyan, magenta,
yellow, and black; and also "spot" colors: red, green, and blue.

Based on the information you supplied, this is how I would approach the
project:
1. Pick a name for the spot color, such as "blue."
2. Whatever text or graphic you want in the spot color, set it to blue.
For text, color settings are in the Character or Paragraph Designer
dialog box. For lines and graphics, color settings are in the Tools
Palette.
3. When you are ready to output, in the Print dialog box, set your
printer, such as Adobe PDF.
4. Click on the Separations Setup button.
5. Under Plate Assignments, move Black and Blue under "Print As Spot"
and all other colors under "Don't Print."
6. Click the Set button.
7. Check the Print to File box and verify the file name and location
with a ".ps" file name.
8. Print the PostScript file, then distill it.
The resulting PDF will have two pages, one that is called black, another
that is called blue.
Tell the printer that the blue plate is prints in the specified spot
color.

Any graphics imported into FM will print on the black plate. The colors
will appear on-screen, but they will print in grayscale. At least they
did on my system.

The fact that the printer wants separations suggests this project is an
offset print job. If the printer (company) is making film negatives,
there may be a specific printer (output device) driver that the author
should use to output the project from FM to a PostScript file, rather
than making a PDF with the standard Adobe PDF driver. FM is not a common
authoring tool for projects that are offset printed, so there may be a
little negotiation with the printer to reach a solution.

Wishing you success.

Daniel Doornbos
Technical Writer
Promise Technology, Inc.