anticipating a move to Structrued Frame

Marcus Carr mcarr at allette.com.au
Thu Mar 15 15:38:10 PDT 2007

Milan Davidovic wrote:

> I'm looking for resources or advice on how to start
> working in unstructured Frame in anticipation of a
> move to Structured Frame.
>
> Let's imagine you're working in unstructured Frame,
> and that present circumstances prevent you from making
> the switch to Structured Frame. However, those
> circumstances could be quickly lifted; if so, you'd
> have a brief window to move to Structured Frame and
> get it working.

Why do you want to go to structured data? Is it because you believe that
you can document more efficiently, or because your organisation has
requirements to use the data in ways not currently possible? If it's the
former and you're judicious about using styles and maintaining
consistency, you shouldn't have too many problems. All the same, check
with any other potential users of the data within your organisation to
ensure that you'll be able to satisfy their structural requirements, or
at least make sure that you're not doing anything against their possible
requirements.

If it's the latter, then start hassling the IT department for their DTD
or schema, for without it, you can't do anything. You might take a punt
on what the structure will look like, but you'll almost certainly end up
reworking your data later after heated debate about the merits of both
approaches, driven mainly by neither side wishing to modify their own work.

It is often overlooked on this list for obvious reasons, but the primary
purposes of structured data usually has precious little to do with the
creation of printed pages. Basing a strategy for structured data on an
existing FrameMaker application is often a case of the tail wagging the dog.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mcarr at allette.com.au