OT: Tech Writers & Wikis

Chris Borokowski athloi at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 06:17:31 PDT 2007

I won't use WikiPedia as a source anymore because I've
been burned too many times. The writers tell you what
they want to tell you, which is often far from
comprehensive. It's a very biased, often inaccurate,
source. It's worth the extra five minutes to do the
real research.

However, wikis as a concept shouldn't be confused with
Wikipedia. I like wikis in small settings like
companies where someone can fix or weed out the
inaccurate. As someone else here said, they're
conversational sources of information. People document
informal best practices through them, and you should
consider them like a half-drunk SME: they'll give you
an answer that's mostly complete in a shorthand of
their own.