OT: Tech Writers & Wikis

Peter Ring pri at ddf.dk
Mon Mar 19 07:20:54 PDT 2007

If it is good enough for IBM, it is probably job safe in smaller companies:

   http://www.ibm.com/redbooks/redwiki

Some lists of wiki systems, proprietary as well as free:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_software
   http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines
   http://www.wikimatrix.org/
   http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWikiEngines
   http://java-source.net/open-source/wiki-engines

A popular integrated wiki/tracking/revision environment:

   http://trac.edgewall.org/

kind regards
Peter Ring

Chris Borokowski wrote:
> I won't use WikiPedia as a source anymore because I've
> been burned too many times. The writers tell you what
> they want to tell you, which is often far from
> comprehensive. It's a very biased, often inaccurate,
> source. It's worth the extra five minutes to do the
> real research.
>
> However, wikis as a concept shouldn't be confused with
> Wikipedia. I like wikis in small settings like
> companies where someone can fix or weed out the
> inaccurate. As someone else here said, they're
> conversational sources of information. People document
> informal best practices through them, and you should
> consider them like a half-drunk SME: they'll give you
> an answer that's mostly complete in a shorthand of
> their own.

<snip/>