OT: Tech Writers & Wiki

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 06:51:20 PDT 2007

I agree. In my experience, there is just as much bad proprietary
software out there as in Open Source software, but some of the best
software there is is Open Source (Apache, PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL,
TeX/LaTeX, Lilypond, The GIMP, etc).

And we definitely need both worlds, Open Source / Open Community and
Proprietary. Which is e.g. why I have been asking Adobe to consider
Linux as an alternative OS. It seems to me that Adobe are afraid
(sorry, guys) that the Linux Users a group of geeks that want
everything for free. I know many Linux users/developers are like that,
but there are also a lot of Linux USERS, who use Linux because of its
inner security and safety and do pay for some or many of their Linux
applications. Even Linux evangelists like Eric S. Raymond accept both
worlds.

Latest news I saw is WSJ reporting that French PSA Peugeot Citroën are
changing out 20,000 computers to Linux. And from another source that
Munich City is replacing some 14,000 Win to Linux.

I guess they will be changing from M$Office to OOo or similar, but I
am sure they will have some proprietary software too.

Bodvar