wikis

David Neeley dbneeley at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 10:12:02 PDT 2007

Will et al.--

A wiki can be extraordinarily valuable in many technical communities. It can speed up interaction among developers and the tech writers and cut down on the pre-release review cycles.

One caveat, I think, is that the wiki needs to be in the control of the docs department. Some developers will attempt to rewrite material rather than comment upon it--and the result if left unfettered can be chaotic.

However, it is common for wiki software to archive prior versions--allowing the owner of the wiki to restore prior content if need be.

What wikis do not do well is allow the sort of layout flexibility we are accustomed to in Frame. That may not be a particularly serious matter for many, though, as increasing numbers of firms are making the wiki accessible on the Internet to customers.

As for "doing your job for you"--too often, that attitude leads to a choke point--a single point of failure--in getting accurate and timely deliveries out the door.

David