Save As PDF Was: RE: Strange PDF Problem

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Tue Mar 20 16:16:44 PDT 2007

Just to provide some historical context for this, the big
issue with Save As PDF was always that of printer
drivers, and only on Windows systems.

In FrameMaker versions through 6.0, Save As PDF
always used the current Windows printer driver, which
might or might not have been a PostScript driver and
might or might not have been for a printer that supported
color. (Remember all those queries to the list about
people who lost all their colored text when they went
to PDF? The inevitable cause was a monochrome
printer driver.)

As of FrameMaker 7.0, Save As PDF always uses the
"Adobe PDF" printer driver, which is the correct thing
as far as it goes. The problem is that if the default printer
is not Adobe PDF, this represents a *change* in the
printer driver, which means a change in font metrics
(which are supplied by the printer driver on Windows
systems). And a change in font metrics can mean
changes in certain line breaks, which in turn might
affect page and even chapter breaks and make the
page numbers in the generated files incorrect. So
Save As PDF is a lot less broken now, but it still has
a couple of significant gotchas unless you make the
Adobe PDF printer your default.

Personally, I never use Save As PDF. I'm a big fan
of the watched folder approach for books or printing
directly to the Adobe PDF virtual printer for single
files.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ