Footnote placement improvement for practical and aesthetic reasons

Rob Shell rshell at iafrica.com
Wed Mar 21 01:03:27 PDT 2007

Hi framies:
I have submitted a suggestion to Adobe for an improvement (copied below) . I
wonder if anyone would support me? Again I am drawing my example from 19th
century typesetting. "Back to the future department."

Here it is:

Improvement: Multiple short footnotes on a single line as in 19th Century
books

The FM  page logic might be improved if Framemaker allowed 2, 3,4 footnotes
on a single line in the footnote region. Not all footnotes are long and not
all need a full line.
My suggested improvement would look like this
_____________footnote sep line
   2This is the first footnote. 3 Ibid.    4 Loc.cit

FrameMaker has a bad habit of placing footnote calls and notes on different
pages. This suggestion might help and also make the page look better.

p.s. Anyone know how to keep the call and the footnote together globally? My
latest document is 5,000 pages long and its tiresome to go through the whole
thing....

Robert C.-H. Shell
Extraordinary Professor of Historical Demography
UWC
Courier address:
Room 3,23
Statistics department