Version control of FM documents/books

Peter Ring pri at ddf.dk
Wed Mar 21 12:12:27 PDT 2007

Version control in the sense of configuration management, or version
control as in revision control, i.e. the basic storage mechanism needed
for configuration management?

Depending on the volume of FrameMaker documents and the number of
revisions, you can certainly use CVS. We do -- for the time being. CVS
is not particularly well suited for binary files. If you want something
that work in a fashion similarly to CVS, Subversion is the compelling
alternative.

Up-scale XML-based document management systems typically offer some
FrameMaker intergration, some workflow management and some configuration
management.

Kind regards
Peter Ring