Background with JPEG

IScheitle at teledyne.com IScheitle at teledyne.com
Wed Mar 21 09:09:57 PDT 2007

I'm not sure if transparent images are officially supported in FM, but I
have been able to do this when there is an occasional need. FrameMaker
(5.5 or earlier? through 7.2) has been able to handle a Photoshop EPS
image with a clipping path that defines the visible object shape. (Refer
to Photoshop's Help for creating a clipping path.) Other file formats,
including JPEGs, don't seem to work.

Assuming that you have a background fill or image on the master page, you
can get an image on the body page to display with transparency in the PDF
output. To do so:
1. Import the EPS image with clipping path into the FM document. This
places the image in an anchored frame.
2. Select the image inside the anchored frame.
3. From FM's Tools Palette, click the Set Fill Pattern button and select
None. (This is the key step.)

At this point, the EPS preview image that you see in FM is unchanged.
However, the PDF output will display and print the image with the
transparent regions defined by the clipping path. I suspect that this
successful transparency has more to do with postscript and Distiller than
FrameMaker.

With regard to the text runaround issue, the anchored frame can be set to
"Run into Paragraph." The text will flow around the shape of the anchored
frame. Although this box may look a bit crude, the transparent image and
anchored frame will behave nicely if the document is edited or re-flowed.

If you still insist on having the text flow around the shape of the image
object instead of the anchored frame, I think the only way to do this is
to eliminate the anchored frame. For this work-around, you place the image
on the body page -- but don't expect the image to move with the text flow.
Continuing from the steps above, you can get the text to flow around the
image shape:
4. Drag the image outside of the anchored frame, then delete the anchored
frame. Note that the text still flows around the rectangular shape of the
image.
5. Select the image and set its runaround properties to Don't Run Around.
6. Send the image to back (Graphics>Send to back).
6. From the Tools Palette, select the Draw Polygon tool and draw a shape
for the text to flow around.
7. Set the Polygon shape's runaround properties to Run around Contour.
8. From the Tools Palette, set the shape's Pen and Fill Patterns to None.

Ian Scheitle
Lurker, on digest