Clipboard formats priorities

Fri Mar 23 07:24:30 PDT 2007

David Shaked (Wernick) wrote:

> I would like to revise my original question. My primary need
> is not to paste text. It is to paste variables, as follows:
>
> 1. Insert a variable in a particular location. The variable
> contains the product name or other branding information.
>
> 2. Copy the variable.
>
> 3. Use find/change by pasting to insert the variable in
> hundreds of other locations. In all cases, the variable
> should assume the formatting of the target location.

As you've discovered, when you copy a variable, you're copying
_that_specific_instance_ of the variable, including the formatting it
acquired from its context.

You need the EZVars plugin from Electropubs
(http://www.electropubs.com/). It solves your specific problem by
letting you search for a text string and replace it with a variable --
not a copied instance, but a newly created variable, which assumes the
correct font, etc., for that location.

EZVars make working with variables much easier in general. It's only
$15. I highly recommend it.

HTH!
Richard

------