Left-brain/right-brain: FrameMaker and XHTML

mcarr at allette.com.au mcarr at allette.com.au
Sat Mar 24 15:53:16 PDT 2007

Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:

> The Frame docs are all UNstructured, and I can't imagine what benefit
> structure would bring to something as free-form as a Web site...  ;-)

Huh?? It's Sunday morning and I've not yet caffeinated, but that seems
like a rather sweeping statement. Obviously any big site (see
http://www.pbs.gov.au for one we recently finished) would be impossible
without structure, but even personal websites would surely benefit. I'm
not a big fan of "enforce consistent use of styles" as a reason to use
structure, but in this case it might be the mechanism that ensures that
all of your headings show up in your navigation.

Structure is an architectural description of the data - I can't imagine a
situation where it wouldn't be beneficial to have that additional
information.

Marcus