Left-brain/right-brain: FrameMaker and XHTML

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Fri Mar 23 14:08:27 PDT 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:40:58 +0000, Steve Rickaby
<srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>It occurs to me that as FrameMaker comes with an
>'out of the box' XHTML structured application, it
>might be a useful tool for prototyping web content
>(without any  WYSIWYG) prior to export into a web
>development app such as Dreamweaver.
>
>Has anyone used it like this? Did it work for you?

Yes.  Our own Web site is in Frame:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/omni.htm

and I've done several for friends that way too.
One benefit is the ability to make a PDF of the
entire site, as in this one:
  http://www.amyneustein.com/contact.htm

Media people love that; they can grab one PDF,
and refer to it off-line while writing their
story. (Amy is a *very* public figure in NYC.)

We do all this with Mif2Go, of course; it's not
hard.  In fact, we have single-click updating,
using runfm from a .bat to make the HTML, PDF,
and the .zips in one shot.  After a final check,
a second .bat sends them all to the site by ftp.
Takes five minutes after the editing in Frame
is done, and never requires *any* postprocess.

The Frame docs are all UNstructured, and I can't
imagine what benefit structure would bring to
something as free-form as a Web site...  ;-)

HTH!