Printing problem -- Complex PS/PDF files and office printer

Kara Fiechtner karafie at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:22:22 PDT 2007

Hello,
I just posted one question (table headers), but I also have another question
regarding printing a PDF file.

I have created a fairly long and complex manual in FrameMaker that has quite
a few graphics in it. Most of the graphics are schematics and aother
diagrams that I have imported into FrameMaker as PDF files. (Less editing on
my side. I just get the files from the EE team, crop the files in Adobe
Professional, and then import the graphic into FrameMaker as a PDF.)

I can create a PDF of the book with no problem. However, when I go to print
the PDF, the printer here at my office will return an error saying it has
"insufficient memory" and in most cases the manual will not print.

To combat this, I opened some of the more complex PDF files in Adobe
Illustrator and rasterized the images. I have again created a PDF of the
manual. When I print now, sometimes the graphics do not print at all or only
a portion of the graphic will print. However the remainder of the book will
print with no problems. If I go to just the defective pages of the manual
and select "print" the pages print with no problem.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions? (I have tested this on
2 printers here in my office with the same results.)

thanks,
Kara