DITA for training materials?

Scott Prentice sp at leximation.com
Fri May 11 12:25:07 PDT 2007

Structured FM (regardless of the data model) can offer benefits with
regard to consistency and control. There have recently been a number of
threads on this subject. Whether DITA offers any specific advantages
over another data model is yet to be seen. Even though your client may
not seem to be a good candidate for reuse, I'll bet that they do use
repetitive blocks of content or phrases that could benefit from DITA's
conref feature. Also, if they produce different versions of their
training material (beginner, advanced, ??) they might find that being
able to easily generate different versions of content by
including/excluding specific topics from the output might be a nice
thing. One other possible advantage of using XML (not necessarily DITA)
is that it might allow for tighter integration with the software strings.

There is a recently formed OASIS subcommittee that is developing a DITA
specialization for Learning and Training. This may focus more on
computer-based training output, but it might of interest to your client
..
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita-learningspec

Granted, there may be a fair amount of initial overhead to move in this
direction, but doing so may open up new opportunities that they hadn't
considered. It certainly seems worth investigating.

...scott

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.
www.leximation.com