Entry Level Technical Writer - Contract - Moorpark, CA

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue May 15 08:03:48 PDT 2007

John Sgammato wrote:
> This is insulting.
>
> A typist is not a technical writer, and "taking edits from subject
> matter experts and dropping them into FrameMaker documents" is not
> technical writing. You want a stenographer with FrameMaker experience.
> You probably *need* a technical writer but don't know what a technical
> writer is and would be unwilling to pay for one anyway.
>
> Is it Structured FrameMaker? Unstructured? What version? What plugins?
> Do you need index entries? Cross-references? Do you even know what you
> are asking for?
>
> John Sgammato
> Principal Technical Writer and Curmudgeon etc, etc
>
> *****
> This would be a perfect position for someone trying to break into tech
> writing as you will be mostly taking edits from subject matter experts
> and dropping them into FrameMaker documents.

I forwarded your message, with my own emphasis, to the recruiter's
e-mail address given in the job posting.  (I wasn't sure if she'd see it
on the jobs at ... address.)

The situation reminds me of a story about a rather self-satisfied
medical doctor making dinner conversation with his son's future in-laws,
who were life-long farmers.  Said the doctor, "I've long thought that
after I retire, I'll buy a little property and take up farming."  Said
the farmer, "What a coincidence!  I've long thought that after I retire,
I'll buy a little office and take up medicine."  The doctor fell silent
for a time until the red in his face diminished somewhat...

sr

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator