Figure Numbering Problem

Howard Rauch techtransfer at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 15 10:21:10 PDT 2007

I have been writing a number of service manuals for my client. One problem I have been having is numbering figures sequentially -- some will, some won't. The command line for autonumbering in the client's template is  F:Figure < ><n+>.

For those that do not, I have to force the figure numbering, that is, manually renumber that figure to the number it should have. For example,  F:Figure < ><n=5>. Then some downstream figures will number correctly, but then I may have two, three, or four consecutive figures with the same numbers. Also in the figure tag list for cross-referencing, figure numbers may be out of sequence, e.g. Figure 5 listed before Figure 4.

Several other items that are numbered in the manual are certain headings (H:<n>.<n+>  < =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>\t), items in lists (n:<n+>.\t) which also have a tag to start with 1 again (n:<n=1>.\t), and procedural steps (<n=1>.\t and <n+>.\t). Tables are not numbered.

Although manually renumbering figures solves the problem, as you are aware, it creates other  numbering problems if a figure is removed in the future. any insights about how to resolve t his issue?

I am using Frame 7 with Windows XP Professional.

Howard Rauch

Technology Transfer, Inc.
"Linking Creators and Users of Technology"
933 North 18th Street
Manitowoc WI 54220
Office: 920-682-1528
Cell: 920-629-0080