How many FM users are there?

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Wed May 16 09:51:30 PDT 2007

I will hazard the guess that this assertion is based on the same
argument ArborText used to (maybe still does?) make about FrameMaker not
being "real SGML" (or XML) because it saves files in its own internal
format.

Now that is no longer true for XML w/ version 7+, but it would not
surprise me that they still are making such a statement.  Chalk it up to
FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) marketing tactics.  And several others
have given you the ammunition to counter such claims to your management.

On Tuesday, May 15, 2007 09:09 PM, Diane Gaskill wrote:

| Hi Max,
|
| The PTC rep told me today that FM DITA is proprietary and not
| compatible with anything else.  Is this true?  She also told me
| that the PTC version of DITA is "standard" (whatever that means).
|
| One of our divisions in Japan has decided to go with AT.  We
| are leaning toward structured FM.  I was hoping to be able to
| exchange XMS files between SFM and AT.  Some of the comments
| (which you probably read) on the framers list seemed to say
| that I could, but now I am not sure.  Can you shed any light
| on this?
|
| Thanks a bunch.
|
| Diane

- Lester
Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
Yorklyn, DE  19736               Web: www.infocon.com